I know you might be wondering: Who asked this question? Why they asked this question? and What was the answer to this question? But, today we will be focusing on how to become more disciplined – how to reach to that point where we are so focused and self-controlled that achieving our goals becomes much easier.
Some of the strategies that can be used to improve our discipline and our ability to achieve our goals can be gleaned from an intriguing account of what happened when David was anointed to replace Saul as King. There is no one sentence answer that ticks all the boxes regarding discipline. However, here is a list of ten important steps we can use to improve our discipline:
1. Be teachable and follow instructions carefully
(1 Samuel 16:3).
2. Prepare yourself spiritually and physically. This would involve a spiritual spring cleaning and a physical spring cleaning (1Samuel 16:5).
3. Actively listen to God’s decisions and choices (1Samuel 16:7).
4. Be direct and humble. Once God has spoken He seldom changes His mind. His wisdom and knowledge surpasses that of all the intellectuals and all the “Albert Einsteins” that ever lived (1Samuel 16:8).
5. Do not distract yourself or flirt with distractors. Samuel could have unnecessarily paused when Shammah passed by, but he remained focused instead (1Samuel 16:9).
6. Create your own challenges and rewards that will keep you focused on your goal (1Samuel 16:11).
7. Do not be afraid, but let your hands be strong (Mark 11:2).
8. Bind yourself to the Lord to serve Him, to love the name of the Lord and to worship Him (Isaiah 56:6).
9. Be practical and quick to do good (Luke 14:5).
10. Pray for wisdom and power to be disciplined even in times if difficulty (James 1:5, Zechariah 13)