In our high pressured fast paced world suicide is something that our society is increasingly having to deal with. We as humans – no body else but us have created a world that can be extremely stressful and difficult to live in. The other day I came across this phrase “Man to man is so unjust, you just don’t know who to trust.” I have realized in this life that a lot of the suffering human beings encounter and experience are based on actions and unkind acts inflicted on them by other humans. In my opinion, one of the major causes of suicide has to do with man’s inhumanity to man. We have set up systems in the world designed to make life easier, faster, more modern but instead these same systems are sometimes the cause of depression and evil surmising. These are some times the same systems that cause our children to be introduced to predators, or the same systems that help to create stalkers and perverts. It is our inhumanity to each other and our greed for gain that can cause a family to lose their homes and jobs and everything they ever worked for all in the name of satisfying the conditions of systems we have set up to help make life harder for our fellow humans. Suicide is a real problem and it is a problem that must be dealt with. Too many people are walking around looking OK but inside there is so much hurt and fightings and tumult. Man has indeed become his own greatest predator, but it doesn’t have to be this way. If you are contemplating suicide think on these things:
1. This too shall pass, believe me it will. Whatever you are experiencing is only for a time and although it might look like there is no way out there is always a way out. Those are just evil thoughts given to you by the enemy of souls satan. In my experience whenever i have been in a difficult place in my life satan always tries to press in on my thoughts to convince me that my situation is hopeless and that I will never get out of this. However, guess what? In all and I mean all of those situations there has been a way out even when i felt like there wasn’t. When i finally got pass that situation into a better one I looked back and thought what a gruesome lie told to me by the enemy. He wanted to bring over my life a cloud of hopelessness. But, once you put your faith in God, He always makes a way out even if it is not the way you think the way out should be. He never leaves you to perish once you call on Him in desperation.
2. God cares more for you than you do for yourself. He really does! He is a faithful friend. God says in 1 Peter 5:7 ” Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you”, and trust me if no one else cares for you He does. I am not asking you I know because I have proven it in my life and the life of others close to me. Even in our darkest moments God is trying to reach out to us to give us hope and a brighter future. Even when we don’t understand the circumstances around us God can take all that hurt and change it into something good. He can bring peace which this world can never understand or give. There is no pleasure in this life that can give that Peace and Joy that God can give. It is something you have to experience for yourself and its something that each and everyone of us can have if we want it.
3. Remember satan is a liar and so are his demons. They come to you themselves or they send “friends” and “relatives” to whisper discouragement and hopelessness into your lives. Satan and his demons introduce activities into your life that might bring a temporary sense of euphoria but when completed these activities leave you with a sense of guilt, despair, hurt and confusion. God whispers in the midst of all the noise around you Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) “And the LORD, He [it is] that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”
4. If as you look around on the lives of your colleagues, friends and family you feel that there is so much they have that you don’t, remember that first you don’t know how they got what they have and what means they used and also remember that some of these people are just putting on a show inside they are empty and miserable and trying to get get and get to fill that void. You must always remember that the quality of life does not depend on the abundance of material things one has but on the abundance of his or her relationship with God. There are so many big houses and extravagant lifestyles I have seen and then the person dies and their estate is left to decay and become over grown with thorns and thistles and grass. Everything fades in one moment of time and thats it. The only thing that matters then is where you stand with the great Jehovah and whether your destiny is heaven or hell. We need not worry about the things we do not have for they are only temporary we need to concern ourselves with the things of an eternal nature that can last and besides God says in Matthew 6:28-34 (NIV): 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
5. Look away from yourself and go out and decide to give to the poor or engage in some charitable work of helping someone else. You might wonder what? but its true! the more you do for others even when you yourself is in need of someone being kind to you it acts like a medicine to the soul. It brings life and healing to you. The sense of helping someone in need actually has a direct effect on not only the person being helped but on you also. The satisfaction of doing good, making others happy rubs off on you and before you know it the gloom and despair around your own soul disappears. You must make an earnest effort against imagining evil and doubt and gloom. No one else can do this for you. You have to be determined in your mind that come what may I am going to try to struggle against the temptation to think hopelessly and to struggle against sinful practices that tend to tear my spirit apart. You must be determined to hold on to Jesus who alone can wash away every stain from your soul. You must push yourself to believe that you sins can be forgiven and that your situation is not hopeless. You must be determined to look in the mirror and say to self – ” self today I have chosen to walk the higher road and believe that God loves me and I am special and brought with a great price, the price of His blood on calvary’s cross.”
6. Be determined to practice Philippians 4:8 (NIV) “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Today I want you to leave with you the words of a song that has so much meaning in its words. It has been a blessing to me in the past and today I hope it is a blessing to you. It is “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow by Alison Krauss”. Compliments of: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/I-Know-Who-Holds-Tomorrow-lyrics-Alison-Krauss/880E21C8ADAB491848256F8600079583
I don’t know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don’t borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don’t worry o’er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I’ll walk beside Him,
For He knows what lies ahead.
Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.
Every step is getting brighter
As the golden stairs I climb;
Every burden’s getting lighter,
Every cloud is silver-lined.
There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eye;
At the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains touch the sky.
I don’t know about tomorrow;
It may bring me poverty.
But the one who feeds the sparrow,
Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me
And I’m covered with His blood.
May your soul be restored by the great King of Heaven and Earth – Jesus Himself. God bless you!